Saturday, June 28, 2014

Metaphysical Insomnia Jazz/Mumonkan xxix. - Philip Whalen


(L-R: Lew Welch, Gary Snyder, Philip Whalen. 1963)

So this poem is floating around in dabs on the internet but I feel like it doesn't have the reach that it deserves. So to all 7 of you reading this, I hope you enjoy this poem! It is found in Overtime, Selected Poems by Philip Whalen.

Metaphysical Insomnia Jazz
Mumonkan xxix.

                                                               Of
Course I could go to sleep right here
With all the lights on & the radio going

(April is behind the refrigerator)

Far from the wicked city
    Far from the virtuous town
     I met my fragile Kitty
    In her greeny silken gown

fairly near the summit of Nanga Parbat & back again, the wind
flapping the prayer-flags

"IT IS THE WIND MOVING."
---------------------
"IT IS THE FLAG MOVING."

Hypnotized by the windshield swipes, Mt. Harold Wood:
"Back & forth; back & forth."

                    We walked beside the moony lake
Eating dried apricots
                              Lemons bananas & bright wedding cake
& benefits forgot
------------------------
"IT IS THE MIND MOVING."
------------------------
& now I'm in my bed alone
Wide awake as any stone

No comments: