Monday, January 20, 2014

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr


"If Martin's death has reached the conscience of a nation, well then it's a great moral triumph in the history of mankind, but it's very unlikely that it has."
- James Baldwin

"You ought to have some great faith that grips you so much that you will never give it up. That somehow you go on and say 'I know that the God I worship is able to deliver me, but if not, I'm going on anyhow. I'm going to stand up for it anyway!' What does this mean? It means in the final analysis, you do right. Not to avoid hell. ...Ultimately you must do right because it's right to do right" - Martin Luther King Jr.

Today we celebrate the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. I've collected a few links here from friends and my own searching. 
First, "But if Not," a sermon where the Doctor references the Bible chapter Daniel and relates civil disobedience with Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego and compares it to the struggle in America at the time.



For a story via CNN, about some less popular MLK speeches, click here. 10 things you may not know about MLK, here. "I Have Been to the Mountain Top" full speech, here.

No comments: