Saturday, September 14, 2013

Referrals

I was at a thrift store yesterday, looking for books. I had to share the browsing time with 4 gentlemen who had some kind of device attached to their smart phones. They were scanning the bar codes of each book, one by one. A tedious task if you ask me. But they ended up with 2 huge boxes of text books and other miscellaneous books. I've seen this before, but not quite to such a large scale. They seemed to be working as a team, and I wonder who they're going to sell their new prizes to.

Anyhow, I found a jackpot of sorts. Well at least, what I hope to be a jackpot. For years I've listened to my brother and other friends rant and rave about Chuck Palahniuk. I've been given books by him to borrow, actually Choke is still on my shelf where it's been for close to a year without ever picking it up. There is no reason for this, perhaps laziness. I just haven't gotten around to reading him. I found 3 of his books at the thrift store. One was a collection of short stories, Stranger Than Fiction which I passed on. I picked up 2 of the 3, thinking if I really enjoy his work I can come back to the short stories. If I don't enjoy his work I can always give the books to my brother, or any number of friends who've raved about him to me in the past.

The other book I found I have heard about for years as well: Zen And The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I haven't heard one bad thing about this book, so I figured it's worth the 2 bucks to see what all the fuss is about. So I picked up 3 books and came in below my budget of $7. I'm looking forward to seeing if all the hype is deserved.


No comments: